Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Crystal Radio's and Stations

Recently I purchased a couple crystal radios one assembled and one not. The one that was assembled was quite beautiful and even at night gets me one station. The other was quite ease to assemble and it also gets me one station day or night. So I decided to build my own and follow most of the rules on constructing coils [PVC] and a 70 foot horizontal antenna, getting capacitors, diodes, etc. Got most of my supplies from the Xtal Set Society and if they don't carry it they have links that do. If you want new capacitors single or double gang they have them. Buy them on EBAY and they will cost you and the capacitors will be an extra five dollars. Anyway I put some coils together added a diode and ear piece and started getting stations every day and night. For a crystal set that uses no battery I have picked up 15 stations and as far away as Winnipeg, Canada, Boston and New York City. That included two antenna traps I put together to cut out all the big stations that boom in. Not fancy like a set from the 1940's but I'm having fun and that's the point. Have some fun and be a kid again.


4 comments:

John Barry said...

That is a very nice hobby.

rainywalker said...

Perhaps one of these nights I'll pick-up Radio Ireland:)

John Barry said...

Have you ever listened to Radio Caroline online on a tuesday night from 9pm-12pm UK and Irish time
(4pm-7pm New York time). It plays requests for songs from the 1960s and 1970s. The station started off as a pirate radio station on the
North Sea. The website is here

rainywalker said...

Only on the radio when I lived in North Carolina.